What type of tiles should I lay in Dining room?
Help, advice, information, answers and tips on all types of flooring from laminate and carpet to timber and vinyl

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
bjones041
Labourer
Labourer

What type of tiles should I lay in Dining room?

by bjones041 » Sat Jun 06, 2009 7:00 pm

I had solid oak flooring laid throughout my house (it is a 300 year old cottage) but despite tanking it the wood has warped and risen in the dining room which is the lowest point. I have had a damp expert out and he suggests perhaps unsurprisingly that due to the age we are unlikely to get rid of the damp completely (I will be addressing that too of course). So....we have decided to pull up the wood and lay tiles instead. My question is what type of tiles are best? I've been told that porcelain would better weather the damp issue as they are not permeable. We really like the look of stone flagstones as they would be more in keeping with the character but were told that these would draw the moisture out of the ground and it would leave a blush on the surface. How bad an idea would these be? Any and all advice appreciated. Thanks in advance.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Jun 07, 2009 5:20 pm

bjones041,
In older houses this problem has generally been solved by close laying quarry tiles. Real flagstones would cost a fortune.
end

bjones041
Labourer
Labourer

Thanks for feedback.

by bjones041 » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:01 pm

I haven't looked at quarry tiles but will do now.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 7:24 am