What Type of Wood to Repanel Garage Door
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dave1814
Labourer
Labourer

What Type of Wood to Repanel Garage Door

by dave1814 » Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:13 am

Morning.

I am about to have a go at repanelling our garage door. As you can see in the picture, the panelling and sheet of wood behind are rotten at the bottom and arent really in much of a decent condition all round. The stud work behind looks fine though.

My idea is to pull all the old panelling and sheet of wood, insulate the stud and replace. The question is - what type of wood should I use? Obviously I want everything to be as secure as possible so I was thinking 18mm thick sheet of ply and then repanel using some sort of timber and quadrant mouldings to frame, then paint black.

Is there a certain wood I should look to do this in? Would I need to treat first? Or does anyone have any alternative ideas? I dont really want to fork out for a new metal door, as the decent ones cost over 1k!

Thanks for any help in advance!

Dave
Attachments
door.jpg

Sometimewoodworker
Ganger
Ganger

Re: What Type of Wood to Repanel Garage Door

by Sometimewoodworker » Sun Mar 24, 2019 1:07 am

For the plywood you will do best with marine grade as it will be more moisture resistant. For the moulding and other wood that will go on top the best, but probably not available is sweet chestnut that will last really well. Otherwise western red cedar and most tropical hardwood like Ipe.

You must be careful when painting that there are no cracks for water to seep down and that on the bottom you have a drip channel along the front board to prevent the water clinging to the underside and wicking up the junction

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Feb 22, 2024 5:02 am