What wood to burn in a wood burning stove?
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
gizmo
Apprentice
Apprentice

What wood to burn in a wood burning stove?

Post by gizmo » Sun Nov 25, 2007 9:28 am

Hi, anyone an expert on wood for burning? We've installed a wood burining stove and have a lime tree in our garden which is being cut down. We've been advised that lime does not burn well at all and is useless for a wood buring stove - any thoughts on this please?

oldhenry
Apprentice
Apprentice

Post by oldhenry » Thu Nov 29, 2007 9:30 pm

I have a wood burner, been running this one for 6 years, but I am 60 and have experience of these from many years ago.
The best wood of all is ash, superb ,also fine are oak , beech and,birch. But most wood is fine in a wood burner. Alder is the most useless, and will smoulder. Lime will be fine.
But you must season all wood, at least one summer under cover but free to air movement. preferably two years, I have oak for three or four years, to get moisture down to 20 %.
Otherwise,you will have serious tar problems in the flue, on the doors etc.
Tar is dangerous- burns in flues. What flue do you have? if not ceramic lined then be careful, only burn very dry wood. Pine is not good either, sparky and full of tar. tar is the enemy = dry it out

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 11:01 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:57 am