WHATS THE NOISE/RUMBBLING ?
All aspects of plumbing questions and answers, help, tips and information

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
vw754
Ganger
Ganger

WHATS THE NOISE/RUMBBLING ?

Post by vw754 » Tue May 20, 2008 10:16 pm

The water pipes have recently started to rummble,if i turn on the cold water tap even slightly it stops,why and what is it ?

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Wed May 21, 2008 9:45 am

This is a little obscure but may possibly be caused by a faulty ball valve. Check to see if your header tank (if you have one) or toilet is filling up at the time. Put your hand on the valve to see if it is vibrating.

vw754
Ganger
Ganger

help guys!

Post by vw754 » Wed May 21, 2008 10:37 pm

OK ive checked header tank....no vibrations or knocking/rumbling pipes can be heard around that.
Took lid off toilet,all seems ok.

What i have noticed is OUTside on the pavement there is a water thingy...forgot what there called now...the fire brigade/water authority use this to extract water from.

This is clicking constantly unless the water from my tap is running.....dont know if next door have same problem regarding the rumble.......anyway could it be a problem to do with servern trent water ???

plumbbob
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by plumbbob » Thu May 22, 2008 8:45 am

Curiouser and curiouser. Get a long cane or road that you reach the stop tap in the street. Put one end on the pipe, and the other on your closed ear. LIsten for the noise. Repeat the procedure on the stop tap in the house. Which end is noisier? If it's the street, Severn Trent have a problem. If it's the house end, the hunt goes on. (Try adjusting the stop tap.)

Did you mean a fire hydrant that has no connection to your house or the stop tap to your property? Do you have a water meter?

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 11:35 am