When do I Need Quantity Surveyor and/or Construction Plan?
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
itayshap
Labourer
Labourer

When do I Need Quantity Surveyor and/or Construction Plan?

by itayshap » Fri Apr 19, 2019 1:41 pm

Hello all,

I'm planning to fully renovate a house, turning it to a 4 bedroom HMO
The renovation will include fully refurbishment of the house internally and externally, upgrading the kitchen and WC's, wiring, heating system etc.
The building costs will be around 30-35K.
Currently my builder based his costs using the detailed plans used for building reg control, but i'm worry that calculating building cost only by visiting the site and using the detailed architect plans won't be accurate.
Should i need a construction plan from the architect for this scale of work?
Should i need a Quantity surveyor or it is too simple project for that?
Should i use JCT contract with dated work millstones with Liquidated Damages clause or it's a bit overstretch ?

Is the project's size o determine if i need Quantity surveyor and construction plan? are there any other considerations?

Thank you,

itayshap
Labourer
Labourer

Re: When do I Need Quantity Surveyor and/or Construction Plan?

by itayshap » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:50 pm

itayshap wrote:Hello all,

I'm planning to fully renovate a house, turning it to a 4 bedroom HMO
The renovation will include fully refurbishment of the house internally and externally, upgrading the kitchen and WC's, wiring, heating system etc.
The building costs will be around 30-35K.
Currently my builder based his costs using the detailed plans used for building reg control, but i'm worry that calculating building cost only by visiting the site and using the detailed architect plans won't be accurate.
Should i need a construction plan from the architect for this scale of work?
Should i need a Quantity surveyor or it is too simple project for that?
Should i use JCT contract with dated work millstones with Liquidated Damages clause or it's a bit overstretch ?

Is the project's size o determine if i need Quantity surveyor and construction plan? are there any other considerations?

Thank you,

usually an architect draw two types of plans:
1. detailed plan - for planning permission and for building regulation control
2. construction/technical plans - for the builder - which currently i don't have

so my question is, do i need a construction plan for this small project or is it a good practice to get one for any project? - same question concerning a Quantity surveyor.

thank you

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 4:54 pm