DIY Doctor

Main navigation

Where to turn off hot water supply in order to switch tap?

Postby Reallee » Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:19 pm

I need to change our kitchen sink and the taps too as a result. I can turn off the cold water no problem using the mains but am unable to turn off the hot water tap as there is no isolator valve, only a drain off valve.
Upstairs in the boiler cupboard (not combi) I think I have found the valve to turn off but just wanted to check I’m thinking the right thing?

I intend to;
turn off the boiler,
Turn off the cold water at the mains
Turn off the hot water at this valve
Drain the hot water tank
Remove taps
Add isolator valve
Replace taps
Turn mains water back on
Turn boiler on

Please are you able to tell me if I have missed a step or whether I am likely to create an air lock on the system this way.

Many thanks. Plumbers saying 3 weeks before they can help.
Attachments
0F14C2FA-0CD2-4E3E-929B-6BB1A64AE58A.jpeg
Reallee
Progress to next rank:
0%

Sponsor

Simply Build It

Postby stoneyboy » Sat Oct 02, 2021 10:42 pm

Hi reallee,
Your sequence of actions is correct but you will only need to turn off the valve you have arrowed. This will stop cold water being fed into the HWT so you will only have to drain down the hot water in the pipe, the HWT will remain full of water.
Regards S
stoneyboy

Sort by
Order by

• DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!