Which Professional do I Need Advice From for Neighbours Kitchen Extension
Information, help and advice on many architecture, self build and design problems and issues

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sadjonvee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Which Professional do I Need Advice From for Neighbours Kitchen Extension

Post by sadjonvee » Tue Feb 21, 2017 11:30 am

I have a fairly old ground floor kitchen extension at the back of the house. My neighbour wishes to build a similar extension and wants to use the adjoining side wall of my extension as part of this work.

He has vaguely mentioned:
"It (the shared wall) will be one side of the new roof support"
"We don't need to put up any new brickwork for sound/heat insulation, we'll just skim it on our side"
"There can't be any air bricks in it, it's a side wall"
"Our foundations are bound to be lower than yours so they won't create any risk of damage to the wall"

So who should I ask for professional advice about what I should or should not agree to? Would this be a surveyor, structural engineer, architect, builder? And what detailed information should I ask my neighbour's builder to supply? (I'm confident that they are NOT getting an architect or surveyor involved).

any help much appreciated

I'm based in North London BTW

Dave

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Which Professional do I Need Advice From for Neighbours Kitchen Extension

Post by stoneyboy » Wed Feb 22, 2017 7:14 pm

Hi sadjonvee,
This sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.
Even if your neighbours extension is permitted development ie it will not need planning permission they will still have to get building regulations approval. Your local Building Control Department will have to be notified before work starts.
There are so many pitfalls here I suggest you talk to the BR dept and make sure they are involved before work starts.
Regards,
stoneyboy

sadjonvee
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Which Professional do I Need Advice From for Neighbours Kitchen Extension

Post by sadjonvee » Thu Mar 02, 2017 7:52 am

Thanks Stoneyboy

Sorry took so long to reply - been away for a bit. I've got an appointment to go and see someone at the local council to discuss this so hopefully will be able to get it under control shortly! Thanks for your advice
cheers

D

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 1:47 am