I have a Whirlpool AKP511 built-in electric oven / gas hob, which has worked fine since 1998, but now the ignition switch is starting to spark less and less. I have cleaned it as far as I can, but I can't get the switch cover off. I have tried as hard as I dare to prise it off, but no luck. My first question is: I suppose it is meant to be levered off like this...? If not like that, then how?
The second question is whether I can get a replacement switch, if I need one. The top of my switch looks like this one,
but I have no idea about compatibility. I haven't found anywhere supplying a switch for the AKP511.
Although I'm not familiar with that model, I would be very surprised indeed if the fault you describe was caused by the switch. Most likely the spark generator. I really would suggest getting the help of a registered engineer to correct this, as there should be no DIY work on a gas appliance.
[After switching off the power, of course], I cleaned around the switch cap as best I could. Food gets in there every so often, and I couldn't help thinking that the problem may be as simple as dirt on the contacts. I also sprayed some switch cleaner. It now works a bit better, a spark reliably about once a second, which is enough. Bottom line - it's now doing the job.
But I agree about your main point - if it needs any further work, I would need to get a fitter in.
But I still don't know where I would be able to get a switch.
DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!