Who can check eligibility of my garage
If you want to know how your DIY projects could be affected by building and planning regulations, click here to post questions and view answers

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
northwestLL
Labourer
Labourer

Who can check eligibility of my garage

by northwestLL » Sat Jan 08, 2011 5:11 pm

Hi all,

I've bought a house, that had a garage built at the side in 2000. (one of those concrete sectional jobbies).

I know that it has stood for over 10 years now so couldn't be objected to, but I think it may have been objected to originally.

Who could I contact to determine if the garage was originally legal (as in it's under the requisite height but not sure if it's too near to the house, or rather if it was too near at the time of construction.

Obviously I don't want to contact the council as they'll probably tell me to rip it down.

SPUD1701
Tradesman
Tradesman

by SPUD1701 » Sun Jan 09, 2011 8:57 pm

Hi

You should contact Planning and Building control, you can call with a general enquiry on what the requirements are for erecting a garage, they will be able to inform you of Requirements.

Do not know where you are from but in Scotland, under Building Regs you can build a garage with an internal floor area of no more than 30m2, it can be built on the boundary as long as walls are constructed in non - combustible material, has no sanitary provision or combustible appliance.

So it could be that Building Control Regs not need but Planning requirements still need to be checked, they are something to do with area of ground/garden space and this determines what can be built.

You will be surprised the Councils aims are not generally there to make people rip things down.

Generally enquiry best bet, tell them thinking about building a structure and looking to see what required.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1