DIY Doctor

Who do I get to fix my sagging floor!!!

Postby LOOPYLOU » Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:33 pm

Hi, this may sound pretty dumb but we've not got much experience with builders etc. Our house is approx. 160 years old, most of it is pretty sound but one of the bedroom floors is seriously bouncy, there does'nt appear to be hardly any gap between upstairs floorboards and the ceiling downstairs which has exposed beams. We need to get someone in to look at it and advise what to do,but who do we call? A builder or a joinery specialist or someone else? any help or advise greatly appreciated.
Many thanks
Rank: Labourer
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 1
Joined: Wed Feb 20, 2008 5:24 pm


DIY asbestos test kits

Postby ALDA » Thu Feb 21, 2008 11:15 pm

In my opinion, if you wish to retain the floorboards, they will have to be lifted carefully.

The joists will then need strenthening and leveling.

Then the floor boards can then be re-laid.

This option might not raise the floor level.

If you are not to concerned about the surface appearance/finish, the existing floor boards could be overlaid with sheet flooring to level and reinforce floor.

This option will raise floor level and give small step up into room (1"or 2")and require the door to be adjusted if it opens into room.

If you are keen diy'r i'am sure this project would not be a problem!

Otherwise a competent Joiner or even a good Handyman should suffice.

Hope this is the kind of advice you are looking for.


Rank: Foreman
Progress to next rank:
Posts: 397
Joined: Mon Feb 04, 2008 8:15 pm

Display posts from previous
Sort by
Order by

  • DIY How to Project Guides
  • DIY how to tutorial projects and guides - Did you know we have a DIY Projects section? Well, if no, then we certainly do! Within this area of our site have literally hundreds of how-to guides and tutorials that cover a huge range of home improvement tasks. Each page also comes with pictures and a video to make completing those jobs even easier!

  • Related Topics