Who is responsible for water damage to bedroom ceiling
Information, help and tips on many areas of roofing including trusses, tiling, venting, insulation etc....

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nannoo55
Labourer
Labourer

Who is responsible for water damage to bedroom ceiling

by Nannoo55 » Fri Aug 20, 2021 4:50 am

Hi all, my first post. We live in a 200 year old terraced cottage. Our neighbour's chimney was badly cracked and had to be replaced. We had some water damage to our bedroom ceiling which we thought was superficial but part of our ceiling will have to be replaed. The roofer who replaced the chimney says the flashing on the side facing us has "gone" as that may have contributed t the leak. If they replaced the chimney, why would they not have replaced the flashing completely? The chimney sits fully on their part of the roof. The quote for repair is £3,000. Who would be responsible for this? Many thanks.

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Who is responsible for water damage to bedroom ceiling

by stoneyboy » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:09 pm

Hi nannoo55
It is most likely that the chimney will have been rebuilt from above the flashing but this does not excuse leaving defective flashing.
It is unlikely that the chimney is wholly on your neighbours roof - the chimney will have one side built on your party wall.
If you are going to get your ceiling repaired I suggest you get more quotes - £3000 seems a lot unless you are in central London.
Regards S

Nannoo55
Labourer
Labourer

by Nannoo55 » Sat Aug 21, 2021 10:48 pm

Thank you. I will get more quotes, but is the flashing my responsibility?

stoneyboy
Project Manager
Project Manager

by stoneyboy » Sun Aug 22, 2021 9:51 pm

Hi nannoo55.
As I said in my earlier post:
It is unlikely that the chimney is wholly on your neighbours roof - the chimney will have one side built on your party wall.
So the flashing on your side of the side of the chimney is probably your responsibility.
This does not excuse the actions of the chimney rebuilder in not repairing/replacing the flashing.
Regards S

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Mar 27, 2024 7:34 pm