Why does 6kw sauna heater blow rcd
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
pstevdata
Labourer
Labourer

Why does 6kw sauna heater blow rcd

by pstevdata » Thu Jan 15, 2009 3:00 pm

Hi

I have just had an electrician fit a new consumer unit for me. This has a RCD and 32 amp fuse.

I have wired a 6kw sauna heater in to this and the heater unit comes on for about a couple of minutes and then the rcd trips out.

If left for a few minutes you can repeat the process but the heater will not stay on

Can anyone offer any suggestions.

Phil

TheDoctor4
Project Manager
Project Manager

by TheDoctor4 » Thu Jan 15, 2009 5:20 pm

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm. The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Jan 15, 2009 6:31 pm

Hi, if the heater has not been used before or for a long time, the elements which are hygroscopic will have become damp so causing the earth leakage problem.
A good electrician should know ways around this, such as wiring heater temporarily via a none RCD supply and leaving on for some time to drive moisture out.
There are other ways which should only be done under strictly controlled conditions which I will not go into on public forum as they are potentially dangerous in wrong hands but which will work.
Gonna have to get your part-p leckie back to help i'm afraid,
regards SPARX

pstevdata
Labourer
Labourer

by pstevdata » Fri Jan 16, 2009 9:04 am

Thanks for the quick reply SPARX

I had read about the damp in the elements somewhere else on web. That is why I had persevered with turning on and leaving for a few minutes, but it doesn't appear to be generating enough heat to dry these out.

As you suggest they probably need to be dried throughly.

Really appreciate your advice.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 9:31 am