Why Hardcore under concrete bases? what effect does this hav
Drainage pipes, concrete, footings and foundations. Post your questions and find answers here

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kendellsteve
Labourer
Labourer

Why Hardcore under concrete bases? what effect does this hav

by kendellsteve » Sat Feb 21, 2009 8:01 pm

Hi

Could some one just solve a little querie of mine
Why use Hardcore under concrete bases? what effect does this have on the foundation, and can i use gravel instead.

Cheers

eljaybee
Ganger
Ganger

by eljaybee » Sun Feb 22, 2009 7:58 pm

Couldn't make sense of your post until I had a brainwave and that the title and post may have been edited by the site admin - Where you actually asking as to why use a building material known as the following two words combined together in the reverse order than I have given here "core" and "hard"

If it is then I would have though on a DIY site they knew that this world is the correct term for a material used as a concrete floor sub-base!!!!

Anyway - the reason why you need to use it instead of gravel is that you need to compact it to give a firm base - thus you need the pieces of all sizes inculding the fines (dust) to bond together when compacted - with just gravel you won't get this bonding.

Hope that answers it for you!!!

rosebery
Project Manager
Project Manager

by rosebery » Sun Feb 22, 2009 8:08 pm

Forum software strikes again!! LoL. Although I could guess what word did you use that has been censored? Try spelling it out with a space between esch letter.

Cheers

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 7:32 am