Widening a door
Re-generate an old or tired space and give it a fresh breath of life. Click here for answers, information and tips

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
cgwalsh
Apprentice
Apprentice

Widening a door

by cgwalsh » Mon Oct 08, 2007 10:42 am

Hi,
I want to widen a single door into the front room, into a double door, to let more light into the room.
This is an internal wall, but it is supporting the joists for the upstairs floor in a detached house.

Firstly, do i have to remove the lintel above the door & replace it with a wider one?
If so, is the best way to take out a line of bricks & install the lintel before removing the bricks below.

Finally what is the best tool for cutting through the bricks, to get a straight edge?
Could i use a bolster chisel, or would i need to hire a saw

thanks
Colin

antony5378
Labourer
Labourer

by antony5378 » Tue Oct 09, 2007 12:57 pm

The best way to this is

1. make a hole central above the existing lintel by removing two bricks. Push a 1.5m (about) length of 4"x4" piece of timber through the hole (so theres an equal length of timber either side of the wall), and prop either end of the timber with acro props. (hire from local tool hire, usually 2.50 each pw)

2. Repeat step 1, centrally above where the extended door will be.

3. The upstairs joists should now be supported.

4. Cut new door opening using an angle grinder with a diamond-tip blade or a masonary grinding disc. (again these can be hired for about £10-20 pw)

5. Remove all bricks for new opening, aswell as existing lintel.

6. insert new lintel

7. replace all bricks above lintel.

8. remove acro's

Very difficult to word the procedure without making it sound like rocket science, but it really is an afternoon's work.

If you have an email address i'll forward an illustration which shows how easy the job is.

cgwalsh
Apprentice
Apprentice

by cgwalsh » Thu Oct 11, 2007 3:19 pm

Hi antony,
Mu email address is cgw3333@gmail.com.

thanks for the reply

colin

pasieka
Labourer
Labourer

moving the doors

by pasieka » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:13 pm

Hi Antony, I was wondering if the same system could be used if I needed to move the doors along the wall (around 1meter).
The wall is internal , but it is supporting the joists for the upstairs floor.
Would appreciate if you could email me the illustration (a picture is a thousand words) Many thanks, Mag

thedoctor

by thedoctor » Tue Jan 01, 2008 6:14 pm

Seeour project called forming openings in walls, it has all the info you need to open a load bearing wall.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 10, 2024 12:28 am