Will I Eventually Get Damp Problems With Small Parapet Wall
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
dwm
Labourer
Labourer

Will I Eventually Get Damp Problems With Small Parapet Wall

Post by dwm » Mon Mar 13, 2017 10:56 am

Hopefully some of your guys can give me some guidance.

Around 3 years ago we extended our house with a kitchen, dinning area and living space on the ground floor.

I wanted to keep an existing glass roof as we are north facing and lighting is important. The architect tried to talk me out of it but I was not having any of it.

due to this I have ended up with a small flat section which is fibre glassed and it is water tight. However on the other side of the fibre glassed section there is a small parapet wall and I am worried that the stone work always appears damp and wonder is this of concern.

Looking a little more into it I do know that there is lead work into the fibre glass section that goes under the coping stones. But I don't know if it goes over the cavity to the external stone.

Also I notice no drip grooves ...

Will this be a problem in the future ?

IMAG0429 (1024x768).jpg

IMAG0428 (1024x768) (800x600).jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Will I Eventually Get Damp Problems With Small Parapet Wall

Post by welsh brickie » Tue Mar 14, 2017 6:07 pm

from the pictures weep holes have been left in the wall to allow water to seep out of the wall if water penetrates the coping slabs on the top of the wall, this could cause the wall to discolour after time, As for damp it looks unlikely

dwm
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Will I Eventually Get Damp Problems With Small Parapet Wall

Post by dwm » Tue Mar 14, 2017 8:33 pm

Thank Welsh Brickie,

Do you think the external.appearance always looks wet due to coping absorbing water and then dropping down the stone facade ?

Just concerned even after a few days of dry weather still spears wet and not just under the weep holes

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:01 am