Will Small Air Vents in Plasterboard Help Dry Wall Behind?
Damp can be a major issue in the home. Find answers to questions or post your own here.

george1101
Labourer
Labourer

Will Small Air Vents in Plasterboard Help Dry Wall Behind?

by george1101 » Wed Jul 31, 2019 1:48 pm

I recently had a substantial cellar conversion done where all the outer walls were tanked along with installing drainage and sump pump (The floor was dropped to the level of the footings and a new concrete slab put in place. Insulated boards then went on top with the drainage system, then a membrane over all that followed by a new floor screed to finish off).

The access to the basement is a stairwell in the centre that divides the two chambers (see attached image). The walls holding up the staircase are internal on both sides and so although the sides facing the chambers were tanked the sides that have the stairs were not (although were underneath!).

There are also two constant running fans in the chambers so there is good ventilation.

The building is very old and there is some retaining moisture in the bricks which lead to salts coming through the dot and dabs at the bottom of the stairwell. I have attached some images.

It's not all that bad however as there is some work going on and I thought I would fix rather than cover up whilst the place is a working site.

I have cut out the affected areas and a good proportion around and above (approx 1.2m from the floor and across to the stairs). The dot and dabs remaining have been removed. The wall is then to be treated with safeguard dryshield and new plasterboard fitted using safeguard drygrip adhesive. It will then be skimmed using a hi-lime anti salts and fungal plaster and primed with anti mould Zinsser 1 2 3 paint before being decorated.

As the walls either side of the stairs are internal I know that once they have dried out it will not happen again.

I was wondering if I was to place a number of small (20mm) circular vents at every other step through the plasterboard if it would help speed up the drying process?? These are what I was thinking:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07 ... UTF8&psc=1

Or would that infact have an adverse effect?

Would really appreciate your thoughts on this...

It is currently Sun Mar 31, 2024 10:51 am