Will this work?
Help and information on all topics relating to your central heating, air conditioning and ventilation issues.

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Bearnais
Apprentice
Apprentice

Will this work?

by Bearnais » Tue Apr 01, 2008 1:52 pm

I've been getting quotes for replacing my old boiler with a new condensing one. The trouble is that the boiler will be situated in the middle of my flat and will need a drain pipe installed to remove the condensate from the boiler.

Most folk want to take up the floor to plumb the boiler drain into the soil pipe and this is making the replacement very expensive. I've had one guy suggest pumping the water through the ceiling and onto the roof instead. This would involve pumping the water up about 2.5 or 3m and then into a gutter. It halves the cost of the installation.

Is this guy smarter or dumber than all the rest?

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:17 pm

You can get pumps for boiler condensate discharge as for their capabilities I am unsure and will vary depending on manufacturer.

How far is the soil pipe from the boiler ?
It can't half the cost of the installation, all it involves is lifting floor boards and more pipe and fittings - how much have you been quoted for each ?

ericmark

by ericmark » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:26 pm

This method is used with air conditioning units and there are special tanks and pumps made to do just this job. I have heard about some combustion products which make the condensate not quite plan water like the condensate for air conditioners but the idea is sound. My son as a temporary measure used a bucket with a bed wetting alarm to tell him when it was full that also seemed to work OK. Just like the condensation tumble dries do. But the question is what happens if pump fails, will he fit an alarm? or wire into boiler to stop boiler running if it fails. This is what is done with air conditioners. Otherwise if pump fails it could cause a lot of damage.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Tue Apr 01, 2008 4:58 pm

If the pump failed the boiler would cut out, the boiler senses a build up of condensate and will not allow the boiler to operate - the same as if the condensate pipework became blocked.

An incomplete condensate discharge is classed as ID (immediately dangerous) this means the boiler would be disconnected - and is a RIDDOR reportable offence. The condensate discharge is connected to the flue system. If the trap emptied by splitting etc - the fumes could enter the room

Bearnais
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bearnais » Wed Apr 02, 2008 12:50 am

[quote="htg engineer"]You can get pumps for boiler condensate discharge as for their capabilities I am unsure and will vary depending on manufacturer.

It can't half the cost of the installation, all it involves is lifting floor boards and more pipe and fittings - how much have you been quoted for each ?[/quote]

£1880 and £3660/3800

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Apr 02, 2008 4:59 pm

I can't see how the price can double just to run a condensate pipe to the soil pipe. Ridiculous price, how many quotes have you had ?

Bearnais
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bearnais » Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:50 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]How far is the soil pipe from the boiler ?

I can't see how the price can double just to run a condensate pipe to the soil pipe. Ridiculous price, how many quotes have you had ?[/quote]

Three.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Wed Apr 02, 2008 10:15 pm

You're not very forthcoming with information. Not sure how you expect people to help.

Good luck, hope you make the right choice

Bearnais
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bearnais » Thu Apr 03, 2008 6:41 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]You're not very forthcoming with information. Not sure how you expect people to help.

Good luck, hope you make the right choice[/quote]

Read my post again. You asked me how many quotes I had had and I said three. I gave the prices in a previous post.

I'm not sure what other information you were after.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Apr 04, 2008 2:52 pm

How far is the soil pipe from the boiler

Bearnais
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bearnais » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:17 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]How far is the soil pipe from the boiler[/quote]

The soil pipe would be about 10, perhaps 15 feet at most from the boiler. Putting a pipe in would involve taking up some floorboards in the hall and a bedroom.

htg engineer
Project Manager
Project Manager

by htg engineer » Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:44 pm

Ok, so for the sake of 15ft of pipework it's going to cost an extra £1800 which is ridiculous.

If that is correct you're being ripped off.

If £1880 for installation that extra work and pipework you're looking at £2000 maximum.

Is there any drainage nearer the boiler ? front or back of house where a hopper head could be added to the rain water downcomer ?

Get some more quotes

Bearnais
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bearnais » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:26 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]

Get some more quotes[/quote]

Thanks very much for the advice, it's what I was suspecting.

One of the high quotes was from British Gas and the other a medium sized plumbing and heating firm. The cheaper quote was from a one man band and I had one other guy round for a look and I'm still waiting for a quote from him six weeks later.

Yes, I'll go through the excercise again and see what happens.

Bearnais
Apprentice
Apprentice

by Bearnais » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:28 pm

[quote="htg engineer"]
Is there any drainage nearer the boiler ? front or back of house where a hopper head could be added to the rain water downcomer ?

Oh yes, forgot to add that there isn't any drainage any closer.

14 posts   •   Page 1 of 1