Window fitting without blockwork cavity closers
All manner of questions and solutions to problems and issues surrounding the subject of brickwork, blockwork and stonework

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
tux750
Labourer
Labourer

Window fitting without blockwork cavity closers

by tux750 » Sun Sep 14, 2008 8:34 pm

Background: Self build, block work up to plate level and roof carcuss has been fixed. Concrete cills (allowing windows to sit inside the cavity butted up against the outer skin) have been fitted but all cavities around window and door openings have not been closed off by blockwork.

I am just looking for some confirmation on how to fit
a) windows
b) external doors (e.g. front door)
c) large set of 4 folding doors (opening 4000mm x 2100mm)

I think I am right in thinking that the windows will be supplied with brackets that I can bend forwards and backward in order to plug and screw into the two skins of block work. I presume this to also be the case for the the doors. However, I am stuck on how the folding doors would be fitted. There is so much weight to them that they appear to need to sit on a base along their entire length. Should I cast a concrete cill and put these doors inside the cavity? Or is it standard to sit it on the outer skin?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

cavitys

by welsh brickie » Mon Sep 15, 2008 10:23 am

the cavitys will be closed off with thermabate liners,basicly a insulated plastic strip fitted after blockworks finished.
The windows fit after this has been installed and will be fixed to the back flush of the outer block and fixed through the frame,or fixed using casement brackets.
the folding door will be fixed through the frame ,It is standard for the frame to be fitted to the outer skin of blockwork.

tux750
Labourer
Labourer

by tux750 » Fri Sep 19, 2008 7:52 pm

Thats a great reply
thanks a lot.

If the doors go on the outside skin how do I floor screed up to them bearing in mind that there is a cavity to cross?

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

concrete floor

by welsh brickie » Sun Sep 21, 2008 10:13 am

you can wait untill the concrete is set on the floor.
Cut out the inner leaf of bricks to the door,cut a piece of insulation to jam in the cavity lay polythene over that and then concrete to the door

TheDoctor5

by TheDoctor5 » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:44 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 3:29 am