Window Frame Help
Kitchens, doors, rails, stud, tables, chairs, stair cases, garden furniture etc... Find answers and ask questions here!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
RedCarter
Labourer
Labourer

Window Frame Help

by RedCarter » Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:45 pm

Hi All,

I wonder if anyone would be able to provide any advice on the type of wood that we are being told to use for new window frames.

We have just moved into a house and due to a poor state of repair of all of the windows we would like to have them replaced. Our preference is to use wood as it is in keeping with the style of the house.

Our glazier is pushing for us to use Scandinavian Redwood and has said that this will last us a life time. I have been trying my best to research if the this the case and have found more negative comments than positive ones. The remarks are based around the fact that it is grown to quickly, which results in lower quality wood and therefore a shorter lifespan. I have put these comments to the glazier and he doesn't agree. I have asked for options but he is reluctant to offer anything apart from Maranti or Louarn, which I can't really find any comments on and has only led to more confusion.

In your opinion should we stay clear of the redwood and use a different company requesting another type of softwood such as Douglas Fir or is the Redwood a suitable option?

This may be something I am over thinking but I would like to get it right the first time rather than have to revisit it in 10 - 20 years.

Thanks

welsh brickie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Window Frame Help

by welsh brickie » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:08 pm

I would use upvc you can have a light or dark oak finish that look like the real thing plus they are more heat efficient as you use a thicker 32mm double glazed unit than the 12mm thick unit in wooden windows, and its less expensive

ChrisRichmond
Apprentice
Apprentice

Re: Window Frame Help

by ChrisRichmond » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:37 pm

Probably part of the reason for recommending a certain wood is the amount of profit.

Cedar is an exceptional wood to use as it has great weather resistance and long life even when untreated which is why it is the preferred wood for making beehives the only problem being that it's not cheap.

Cheers Chris

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:19 am