Window handle won't move (security/shear bolt?)
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
justinh
Labourer
Labourer

Window handle won't move (security/shear bolt?)

Post by justinh » Mon Jun 25, 2007 10:30 am

One of the panels in my double glazing will no longer open, the handle isn't locked but will not budge when I try and open the window. I've heard double glazing windows have a 'security bolt' which may shear if too much force is used. I don't know if my windows have these bolts but could they shear if say for example I have a heavy handed wife who slams the windows closed?

If so what's the best way to get this fixed as I wouldn't want to replace the whole window just to sort out one part not opening. I don't think it's closed properly as there is a bit of a draft coming through.

tx

mack1
Labourer
Labourer

Post by mack1 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:59 am

Hi Justin
If the handle moves a little bit in the opening direction you could try and tap the window/frame along the bottom edge either side of the handle.
Use the handle to pull and push and lift at the same time you are hitting the window with your hand.
What generaly happens is the espagnolette that runs along the underside of the frame rusts if you can spray some wd 40 underneath might help as well.
If you force the handle either the espagnolette or the handle will break and you will have to get someone in to open the window.

justinh
Labourer
Labourer

Post by justinh » Tue Jun 26, 2007 3:19 pm

Thanks very much mack1, I'll give it a go.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:52 pm