Window Leaking Noise
Post questions and find answers on glazing, double glazing, upvc glazing, conservatory glazing, fixtures and fittings etc....

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
Gaz67
Apprentice
Apprentice

Window Leaking Noise

Post by Gaz67 » Mon Feb 08, 2021 5:07 pm

I am looking for some advice regarding excessive noise through my double glazing.

The house is a new build (4 years) and the windows are visually fine, I suspect the builder hasn’t used the finest windows money can buy but they seem reasonable quality. I can clearly hear conversations from the pavement outside and presumably anyone outside can hear conversations from inside which isn’t ideal.

Reading through the internet I’ve concluded that the most likely problems/cheapest fixes are sound leaking through the trickle vents and/or around a badly fitted frame.

I am considering replacing the trickle vents with Titon SF Xtra Sound Attenuator (or Greenwood etc) https://www.titon.com/uk/products/windo ... ator-vent/

Does anyone have any experience of these vents. Will they fit any existing trickle vent. Are they simple to fit. I’m assuming I need to pair a canopy for outside with a vent for inside.

The widows are tilt and turn UPVC and although there are no obvious gaps between the frame and the wall I suspect that there may be gaps behind the frame that could be better insulated. I bought a Black & decker Thermal Leak Detector to check for draughts and at various points on the frame, where the hinge attaches, it is 4 to 5 degrees centigrade colder than the wall around the window. This seems excessive and would seems to indicate a lack of insulation. Is it relatively straightforward to fill any gaps without removing the windows with low expansion foam.

Is this the kind of job a glazier would take on, as well as fitting the vents.

I do not want replacement windows and secondary glazing would not be suitable.

Any thoughts welcome.

1 post   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:25 pm