wireing
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
geordie1
Apprentice
Apprentice

wireing

by geordie1 » Tue Feb 24, 2009 5:40 pm

Hello,

I recently tried to wire a ceiling rose which i had 2 black wires, 2 red wires and a single grey one.
What i done was i put the the black switch cable to the brown, the 2 red wires to the loop in block and the other black to the neutral also with the blue but im totaly lost on were to put this grey wire ive tried putting it with the neutral but when i swich on the back bedroom light the one in the landing comes on.

could someone help me on this one thanks :cry:

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Wed Feb 25, 2009 8:21 pm

sounds like you have 2 way swiching there, but you haven't found all the wires, are sure there isn't some more tucked up in the ceiling, or maybe a loop behinf the switches (unusual)?

geordie1
Apprentice
Apprentice

by geordie1 » Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:05 pm

The grey wire i found is coming from the com on the switch then into the rose but i cant seem to find any wires tucked behind the ceiling i find it it a bit odd myself.

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Sat Feb 28, 2009 1:37 pm

your boib to need to remove the switch plates then buzz these wires out with a continuity tester to try and work out what feeds what.

I think I can see what is happening with the cables you have (This is probably the last light on the lighting radial circuit) which explains why you don't have too many cables but I am confused by the bedroom light coming on. One of the reds shold be your live feed to the switch, they should go into the same block. one of the blacks is your switch live (should be sleeved with red or brown tag, but often isn't!) and connects to the live on your lamp. the other black is your neutral, but that leaves your grey wire. you don't have enough left for there to be 3 core feeding 2 way switching. can you see the grey disapearing into some grey or white insulation with some other cables or is it running as a single?
This is tricky without seeing it and being able to Buzz it out, don't know if KB can help, I think he's a bit more experienced than me in the layout of strange lighting set ups!!!

geordie1
Apprentice
Apprentice

by geordie1 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 1:42 pm

The grey wire is a single one but when i took the single switch off the grey wire is going from the common terminal then up to the rose.
Is it possible it might go with the black switch cable and put the brown lamp wire with the reds because ive tried putting the grey wire with the reds and getting no light but when its with neutral im getting some light.
But what happens is when i put the bedroom light on im getting full light in the landing and i bit dimmed in the bedroom the same with the toilet and in the back bedroom there is a little bit light.

moggy1968
Ganger
Ganger

by moggy1968 » Sun Mar 01, 2009 9:07 pm

mate, you've got issues!!
time to get a spark in I'm afraid. also that grey doesn't meet the regs if it's a single with only single insulation along it's length. sounds like you've got a major bodge on your hands there.
Andy

fraserd
Labourer
Labourer

by fraserd » Mon Mar 02, 2009 8:06 pm

are the cables singles?

geordie1
Apprentice
Apprentice

by geordie1 » Tue Mar 03, 2009 7:53 pm

yes the cables are singles- 2 reds 2 blacks with one being the switch cable i think, and this single grey wire which is a touch thicker than the rest.
im totaly lost on this one.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 12:54 am