Wireless alarm system?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Claremac
Labourer
Labourer

Wireless alarm system?

by Claremac » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:51 pm

We are buying a new build from a small local builder (only 2 houses being built) and have just noticed that the intruder alarm which is on the electrics diagram appears not to have been planned for. We are at the stage where all walls have been plastered and are being painted. Before I approach the builder to ask about this I would like to know whether it is possible that he could fit a wireless alarm system at his stage and, if so, are there any pros and cons over a wired one? It may be that he is already planning to install a wireless system but I would like to know a bit about alarm systems before I talk to him. Thanks for any help.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sat Feb 20, 2010 7:52 pm

If your alarm only rings a bell then you may as well use any old rubbish as no one takes any notice anyway.

However if it is to be connected to monitoring station then it has to follow some very strict rules.

Two zones have to be triggered to get a response so near every room will have two PIR's so any intruder will trigger two zones.

Type and position is also important so it is not triggered by items outside and in some case pets.

To get it monitored likely it will need to be installed by a registered company and maintained by them.

Because they make money if it does not go wrong but lose money if it does if fitting an alarm which is monitored and under maintenance contract they are likely to do good job so even if later you drop contract latter best to start with one.

It is very unlikely any builder will fit a monitored alarm. Normally subcontracted.

It has been 10 years since I fitted them so things will have moved on. But loads of cowboys also fit alarms which can never be monitored and are likely to be troublesome. There is a club the good ones are members of. Something like NACOS but sorry can't remember name.

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Wireless alarm system?

by BLAKEY1963 » Sat Feb 20, 2010 8:06 pm

[quote="Claremac"]We are buying a new build from a small local builder (only 2 houses being built) and have just noticed that the intruder alarm which is on the electrics diagram appears not to have been planned for. We are at the stage where all walls have been plastered and are being painted. Before I approach the builder to ask about this I would like to know whether it is possible that he could fit a wireless alarm system at his stage and, if so, are there any pros and cons over a wired one? It may be that he is already planning to install a wireless system but I would like to know a bit about alarm systems before I talk to him. Thanks for any help.[/quote]

claremac
go to your local electrical wholesalers they can give u info on them
blakey1963

Claremac
Labourer
Labourer

by Claremac » Sat Feb 20, 2010 9:41 pm

Hi Blakey
Hadn't thought of that. I have one near me so will go in on Monday. Thanks.

donkeyoaty
Labourer
Labourer

Wireless Alarm

by donkeyoaty » Wed Feb 24, 2010 8:27 am

Hi,
Just thought i'd offer my experience to see if it may help.
I bought a new house with NO alarm so researched for ages the best solution.
After lots of professional advice we went for a fantastic remote fob wireless system that although is not monitored by a company and linked to the police (monthly fee) It does ring all of our mobiles should the alarm go off. You can then press either 1 or 3 on your mobile and either listen in (to hear your stuff being lifted ...lol) or to speak via a speaker ("I'm coming out with a baseball bat etc")
Fortunately we haven't had to test this for real yet but i'm sure if someone did get in and heard a voice they wouldn't be around for long?!!!
Anyway great system, needs to be professionally installed (unless good diy'er) and works a treat and if you moved you can take it with you and keep adding zones and accessories
The name of it is - Visonic PowerMaxComplete
Google "visonic.com/Products/Wireless-Property-Protection/PowerMaxComplete"

If you are interested I found a supplier that was exceptional value for money let me know and i will add details.

Hope it helps.

Cheers

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Wed Feb 24, 2010 5:01 pm

hi, claremac,
I have fitted Visonic alarms myself and they are very good indeed, like most security stuff from Isreal, they have a history of security issues as you can imagine so make good stuff.
End of last year went to my local Rexel-Senate brach for an open day and amongst others Visonic were exhibiting & said could supply through most good wholesalers,
regards Sparx

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Sun Jan 23, 2011 8:49 am

Door bell kits wireless Aldi today. Not best but at £7 good stop gap.

milou99
Labourer
Labourer

by milou99 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:31 am

A wireless alarm is reliable ?

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 5:57 pm