Wires Hidden Under Tiles for Oven
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sitheman
Labourer
Labourer

Wires Hidden Under Tiles for Oven

by Sitheman » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:27 am

When we had our kitchen updated the fitters removed a perfectly good cooker switch, and replaced it with an ordinary plug in oven. We now need to change our oven and need to reinstate the switch. Told by our electrician we need to find original site of switch- which is now under a whole wall of tiles. Any tips on how to find/ trace this? The voltage meters seem to be very hit or miss? Do we have to find the switch is there a work around? Grateful for any advice.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wires Hidden Under Tiles for Oven

by Mr White » Sat Nov 30, 2019 9:56 pm

Your electrician has said you need to find the original position so you will have to find it or run in a new cable.

I see it more and more, situations like yours, whereby something is fitted and it looks nice, and when something fails, it turns out that how what ever was fitted makes no allowance for access to it or something else adjacent, the favourite one at the minute is toilet cisterns hidden in tiled over walls.

You are going to have to bite the bullet and break some tiles, 99.9% of cable / pipe / stud tracers give false readings, so are a waste of money

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wires Hidden Under Tiles for Oven

by ericmark » Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:11 am

Cable should run in safe routes, if the installers have followed the rules, you should have some thing to show were the cables run, if rules not followed then can't work out route.

I can't find the water stop tap, I think tiled over, so I under stand your problem.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 11:27 am