wirewool or abrasive paper inbetween coats?
General decorating topics, questions and answers. find help, tips and advice on completing your decorating projects

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
jb1468
Apprentice
Apprentice

wirewool or abrasive paper inbetween coats?

by jb1468 » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:39 am

On varnishing new pine doors (polyvine wax finish varnish to be used) should I use a very fine wire wool (say 0000) or abrasive paper (say 210-320) between coats? There appear to be different thoughts on this across the net and I have no idea which to choose.

Also after fine sanding (de-nibbing i think its called?) between coats should i use a tack cloth to wipe down or a cloth dampened in white spirits (again confused). If it is the dampened cloth should it be a rag just or a lint free cloth dampened in white spirits.

Looking to get a good finish so appreciate any direction on the above

Many thanks once again

JRS
Ganger
Ganger

Re: wirewool or abrasive paper inbetween coats?

by JRS » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:40 pm

jb1468 wrote:On varnishing new pine doors (polyvine wax finish varnish to be used) should I use a very fine wire wool (say 0000) or abrasive paper (say 210-320) between coats? There appear to be different thoughts on this across the net and I have no idea which to choose.

Also after fine sanding (de-nibbing i think its called?) between coats should i use a tack cloth to wipe down or a cloth dampened in white spirits (again confused). If it is the dampened cloth should it be a rag just or a lint free cloth dampened in white spirits.

Looking to get a good finish so appreciate any direction on the above

Many thanks once again

Ok if it was me who was looking for the perfect finish ( bear in mind every tradesman is different) I would from bear wood. Use steel wool 1st coat the door in varnish, before second coat get some wet and dry 180 pads and use them, as the 1st coat usually leaves a rough finish. one wet sand is dry clean with a tac rag and re-coat then another 200 wet and dry as above. Usually leaves my doors perfect only if i have time tho.

simmonds
Labourer
Labourer

by simmonds » Sun Oct 03, 2010 5:53 pm

I try to avoid using wire wool as if any small fibres are left over after rubbing the surface down and they get stuck in the paintwork they can rust through.
I would recommend using a damp cloth (with water) to remove dust as white spirit is quite greasy and so may not provide an ideal surface fr teh subsequent coats of varnish to 'key' to.

Harry

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 05, 2024 3:08 pm