Wiring 1 way double switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sshore
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring 1 way double switch

by sshore » Sun Jan 17, 2010 2:18 pm

Hi

Bit of a novice on electrics I'm afraid.
Just attempting to change my standard wall switch to a 1 way dimmer switch which will serve the ceiling light & wall light, both metal.
The instructions on the new switch don't exactly match with what I'm seeing but I deduce that the following is the way to handle it. I just need somebody to confirm :

New switch has 2 identical boxes each showing terminals marked L1, L2 & C. There is also an earth terminal.

For the ceiling light, I wire black to L1 & brown to C in the 1st box.

For the wall light, I wire grey (which I assume serves the same purpose as black for the ceiling light) to L1 in the 2nd box & then use the brown
1.5" loop wire to connect the C terminal in each box.

Yellow/green is then wired up to the separate earth terminal.

In both boxes L2 I assume represents the facility for linking up a 2 way system which in this case is not applicable so remains untouched.

Many thanks

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:33 pm

hi,
sounds reasonable enough, presume brown was linked to both commons on original switches?
black & grey cores should have been fitted with some brown sleeving/tape to show they are in fact sw. lines/lives, & ignore both L2's

you seem have it 'sussed' ok,

regards Sparx

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:12 pm