wiring 2 wall lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
frostie 333
Labourer
Labourer

wiring 2 wall lights

by frostie 333 » Tue Oct 07, 2008 11:51 pm

hi could someone pls help, i have a single gang light switch, can i replace it with double light switch and take a feed from it to a junction box under the floor boards and power 2 wall lights from it ? the room is the lounge downstairs and the 2 wall lights i wish to put in are under the chimney breast as a feature

ericmark

by ericmark » Wed Oct 08, 2008 9:45 am

Except where original lamps run off extra low voltage so there is no traditional ceiling rose, the black or blue wires found in a light switch are the switched return live wires not neutral so another lamp can't be tapped into switch it has to come from ceiling rose. Often people use a switched fused spur unit and power the extra lights from the ring main.
Eric

frostie 333
Labourer
Labourer

by frostie 333 » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:08 pm

[quote="ericmark"]Except where original lamps run off extra low voltage so there is no traditional ceiling rose, the black or blue wires found in a light switch are the switched return live wires not neutral so another lamp can't be tapped into switch it has to come from ceiling rose. Often people use a switched fused spur unit and power the extra lights from the ring main.
Eric[/quote]

ok thanx bud !

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:09 am