Wiring a chandlier
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Marianne Machin
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring a chandlier

by Marianne Machin » Sat Mar 28, 2009 10:51 pm

Dear Sir/Madam,

I have two cables coming from the ceiling and they have the standard red, black and earth wires. I am trying to wire up a chandlier with 5, 40W bulbs. The fitting has a live, earth and neutral wire plus an additional earth attached to the fitting. As only a little six bank of connectors has been supplied .plus a spare 2 screw bank, I have put the both reds opposite the live of the fitting wires, both blacks opposite the neutral wire and both earths opposite the earth wire. Turning the trip on the lights came on but when I tried the switch it went off and stayed off having tripped the switch. Any solutions........I have also tried each combination of earths to the little spare 2 screw bank. But each time the lights are on but once I use the switch mariannein the room they do not come on again as the trip has tripped.

Help!
Thank you

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:04 pm

Hi,
Connect earths to earth terminal,
both reds together in loop with nothing else and not across Brown or blue flex of fitting.
The two cables remaining should be black, one is a neutral cable which should go to blue flex side, the other is Switch cable suppling live to your lamp(s) and should be connected to brown flex side of fitting, this should be flagged up with brown insulation sleave for identification.
Best Luck
KB

Marianne Machin
Labourer
Labourer

by Marianne Machin » Sun Mar 29, 2009 6:06 pm

Dear Sir/Madam

Having set out the puzzle to you and worked through the wiring section on wiring a rose, visited the most commonly made mistakes, have remedied the problem and the chandlier is now working perfectly.

Marianne Machin

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sun Mar 29, 2009 8:02 pm

Hi MM,
I think you will find the lights come on with the switch in OFF position and trip breaker when switch is turned ON.
you have made the classic mistake of assuming the reds are lives and blacks neutrals, probably not so!
look under 'projects- wiring a light' all in colour.
Basically most likely your 2 reds should go to spare term block together, not connected to light fitting at all,
one black is neutral and other is switched live back from switch to lights live wire. The one from switch should have been marked with red tape/sleeving but often not done.
All earths together of course.
If you alter wiring to above and light comes on but won't turn off, but does not trip breaker, the previous incorrect connection may have 'welded' the switch contacts together so will need replacement switch, this often happens,
regards Sparx

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Mar 23, 2024 4:15 pm