Wiring a dimmer switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
winkle93
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring a dimmer switch

by winkle93 » Thu Aug 07, 2008 3:49 pm

I've just replaced a light switch with a dimmer switch - the switch serves a ceiling light in which I've been using three 25w candle bulbs. The dimmer switch is wired EXACTLY the way that the instructions gave and also matches any pictures I've found on this site - ie. red to common and black to L1.

Both the light and switch work fine, but when the light is swtiched off the filaments in all three bulbs continue to glow. Have I done something wrong or is the switch faulty?

Any ideas anyone?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Aug 08, 2008 6:25 pm

Hi, 2 possibilities, if switch has an OFF position ie either push on/off or a 'click' off then switch duff.
If no definite off pos. dimmer may be over rated for load, although rating for max may be ok there will be a minimum load as well.
for your 75W load a max of 250W would be normal rating which should go down to a min. of 60W, however if your dimmer is rated higher, say 400W
then minimum may be 100W so won't go completely off with 75W load.
Try putting 40W lamps in, you can dim them after all if too bright and you only pay for what you use,
regards SPARX

winkle93
Labourer
Labourer

by winkle93 » Mon Aug 11, 2008 7:42 am

Hey thx sparx...

I found that the switch was faulty - I've replaced it and all is ok now!

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 12, 2024 4:04 am