Wiring a dimmer switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kandrphillips@tiscali.co.
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring a dimmer switch

by kandrphillips@tiscali.co. » Fri Oct 12, 2007 7:59 pm

Hi. I am replacing a 1 gang switch with a dimmer switch. The existing switch has 2 red-live cables going to one terminal, 2 black-neutral cables going to another and 1 yellow to another. My 1 gang dimmer has only 2 terminals, one L1 and the other C. How do I wire this in? keith

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri Oct 12, 2007 10:03 pm

Hi , you can't as you have a two way sw. at the moment but you have bought a 1 way dimmer!
Also for info the blacks are NOT neutrals they are sw. lives which should have been marked with red tape or sleeving, see Docs project 'replacing 2 way switches'
you will have another sw. somewhere also operating the same light from other side of room, this means 2 way switching and a 2 way dimmer is required which has 3 terminals.
regards SPARX

kandrphillips@tiscali.co.
Labourer
Labourer

by kandrphillips@tiscali.co. » Sat Oct 13, 2007 3:20 pm

Thanks - in the end I worked this out myself! However, I also have a problem with a one way dimmer for tungsten bulbs which causes the bulb to flicker and is therefore useless. Is there a dimmer, too for the energy saving bulbs, which are, of course, minature fluorescants? Keith

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Sat Oct 13, 2007 10:35 pm

Hi Keith, is dimmer too high rated for lamp load? as this will cause flickering, mini fluorescent bulbs can't be dimmed very well yet but some makers promise new range 'soon' that can be dimmed, regards SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 07, 2024 8:55 am