wiring a light and switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
padychum
Labourer
Labourer

wiring a light and switch

Post by padychum » Thu Jan 08, 2009 7:41 pm

I want to relocate my switched wall light and relocate to a ceiling light with separate swicth. I have relocated the cable and the colours of cable i have are red black and a bare cable. can you explain how to connect the cables to the switch and the light please.
thanks

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Thu Jan 08, 2009 11:32 pm

There was no agreed standard for wall lights. For the ceiling rose there is a convention of supplying each rose in daisy chain manor then running the switch wires to and from each ceiling rose.
But wall lights don't use ceiling rose so it is up the the electrician to find a suitable method.
If you only have a single cable at the wall light then likely all joining has been done at the switch and all you need to do is re-route the cable adding any cable as required using proper joint boxes designed if required for zero maintenance (i.e. no screws push fit for cable with clamp) or one of the other methods allowed when cables are not accessible for maintenance.
Eric

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 24, 2024 2:02 pm