Wiring advice for new RCD socket please
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GDOPMOP
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring advice for new RCD socket please

by GDOPMOP » Sun May 10, 2020 6:39 pm

Hi there, this is probably a bit of a silly question but just wondering whether or not the pics look OK for a new RCD socket wiring please?

My concern is with the slightly exposed copper near to the terminals. Especially for the live. As you can tell, I'm new to the electric side of things!

The issue I've got is that the cable is a 2.5mm core cable, which was recommended by a local electrician's retailer but is really thick to work with/manipulate, and the insulation sleeves won't fit inside the terminals.

Grateful for any advice, cheers for reading!

IMG_6515.JPG

IMG_6517.JPG

IMG_6518.JPG

IMG_6519.JPG

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wiring advice for new RCD socket please

by Mr White » Sun May 10, 2020 10:58 pm

What is it for?
I can see it is an RCD, but what is it for and what is it connected to?

GDOPMOP
Labourer
Labourer

by GDOPMOP » Sun May 10, 2020 11:30 pm

Hi Mr White, thanks for your reply. The other end is connected to an outdoor socket, so it enables me to plug into the mains as and when required. It's just like the one in the Ultimate Handyman's video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KYyGpte8QY0

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Mon May 11, 2020 6:15 pm

So that is an RCD plug?
And you have it running to a socket fixed on the wall? or a socket fixed to nothing?

Picture would be better.

But it sounds like the advice you were given is in error.

GDOPMOP
Labourer
Labourer

by GDOPMOP » Mon May 11, 2020 8:06 pm

Apologies, I may have caused some confusion with the wording in my original query. I've enclosed a couple of extra pics below to show...

1) The plug socket that's fixed to the outside wall - for some reason pic appears horizontally here!
2) The cable coming through said wall, which is attached to the RCD plug in the original pictures.

My only concern was whether the slightly exposed copper wire shown in the original pictures matters. My understanding is that it probably wouldn't, but I'm wanting to be extra careful.

Appreciate I may be wrong - please could you explain why this is the case if so! Very grateful for your help so far and anyone else's thoughts on this.

IMG_6520.JPG

IMG_6521.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

by Mr White » Mon May 11, 2020 11:13 pm

That's much better.
The rule of thumb is if you can see copper of the core it's not right.
In an ideal world you should not see any copper what so ever, that said the amount you can see is so small I would not worry about it. It is also nice to see you have the cord grip done up.

Now do you want the "not so good" news?
The person in the establishment from where you purchased the cable gave you the wrong information, either he did not know, or did not ask the correct questions.

The 2.5mm flex that you have can quite easily carry 23A. The fuse in the RCD plug will only be 13A at most. You could have used a 1.5mm flex instead as that can quite easily carry 17A and would have cost less and be easier to put into the RCD plug. That's 1.5mm NOT 1mm

GDOPMOP
Labourer
Labourer

by GDOPMOP » Tue May 12, 2020 6:52 pm

Thanks Mr White, that's a really helpful reply. Next time, I'll be sure to double-check on here before heading to the shops, but I'm relieved to hear I don't need to go running anywhere to replace things just yet! Cheers again.

7 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 22, 2024 8:21 am