Wiring an appliance direct to a double socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Tugger12
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring an appliance direct to a double socket

by Tugger12 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 9:56 pm

Hi, I am installing under unit strip lights to my kitchen wall units and wondered if I could simply wire the lights into a double socket which is directly beneath them on the wall. Obviously there will be no fuse (as no plug due to directly wiring them into the socket) which is why I am wondering if it is safe to do it ? If I have to connect the lights to a fuse socket could I use a cooker double socket as I notice that I have a cooker double socket with a simple cooker 'on / off' switch and a traditional socket (which you can put a plug in) next to it. As there is no plug facility for the cooker I imagine that the cooker is wired direct into this socket so my thinking is that this part of the socket must be automatically fused ? I'm a novice so I might be way out here but any advice is appreciated, thanks

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:40 pm

The item you are looking for is called a fused connection unit (FCU) and is normally same size as a single socket. There is also a switched FCU and they can have neons. Using a switched FCU would mean it will double as the light switch.

There are grid switches which will allow you to mix and match with all sorts including fuse holders and sockets but expensive.

What you need for most lights is a supply of 6A or less so from socket or cooker it will need a FCU.

However in a kitchen because of Part P building regulations likely cheaper to get an electrician to do the work. The LABC normally charge over £100 to allow you to DIY so really not worth DIY in a kitchen.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Mar 25, 2024 9:06 am