Wiring Double Oven and Hob
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
fish
Labourer
Labourer

by fish » Mon Jun 25, 2007 5:47 pm

:? Hi,

I have just had my kitchen refitted and I am installing a new electric hob, and a separate double oven with grills.

My original oven is hard wired into a 40amp circuit and has an output of 11kw.

My new hob ( output 7.1 kw) I believe should be wired into this cable, with it's own isolator switch.

My new oven is 5.4 kw and I was told this could be fitted to a normal 13amp plug socket on 240v with it's own isolator switch.

Someone has said this is incorrect and it should be hard wired in the same fuse spur as the hob, giving them one isolator switch for both.

Obviously I am not familiar with electrics and I do not want to plug the oven into a normal plug socket and experience problems.

Likewise I do not want to connect it with the hob if this is not correct.

Can anyone offer any assistance.

Thank you :D

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: Wiring Double Oven and Hob

by BLAKEY1963 » Tue Jun 26, 2007 11:50 am

[quote="fish"]:? Hi,

I have just had my kitchen refitted and I am installing a new electric hob, and a separate double oven with grills.

My original oven is hard wired into a 40amp circuit and has an output of 11kw.

My new hob ( output 7.1 kw) I believe should be wired into this cable, with it's own isolator switch.

My new oven is 5.4 kw and I was told this could be fitted to a normal 13amp plug socket on 240v with it's own isolator switch.

Someone has said this is incorrect and it should be hard wired in the same fuse spur as the hob, giving them one isolator switch for both.

Obviously I am not familiar with electrics and I do not want to plug the oven into a normal plug socket and experience problems.

Likewise I do not want to connect it with the hob if this is not correct.

Can anyone offer any assistance.

Thank you :D[/quote]

FISH
PLEASE READ THE ADVICE I GAVE TO GEOFF1 ON THIS FORUM
ON SAT 23RD JUNE 2007.
THIS WAS A SIMILAR QUESTION TO YOURS.
SPARKES ALSO GAVE EXPERT COMMENTS TOO.
THE CONCLUSION TO WHAT GEOFF 1 DECIDED TO DO
I ADVISE U DO THE SAME .
BLAKEY1963

andymiet
Labourer
Labourer

by andymiet » Tue Jun 26, 2007 1:49 pm

Hi

Your new oven (5.4Kw) will use about 22 amps (5400/240) and should not be connected via a 13 amp plug. A 13 amp plug will supply a maximum of 3 Kw. You will need to run a new 6mm cable and connect via a new cooker switch. A 6mm cable will support 40 amps.

Your new hob (7.1 Kw) will use about 29 amps and should be ok with the existing 40 amp circuit ( if it has a 6mm cable, which it should have )

Andy

fish
Labourer
Labourer

wiring a oven and separate hob

by fish » Wed Jun 27, 2007 8:23 pm

Hi ,

Thanks for your reponses.

Would it be possible to change the hob 40amp to a 45 amp, and wire both units into the one point with one isolator switch for both? Allowing for diversity, and the fact that I cannot see myself running all four hob points and both ovens.

Thank you

andymiet
Labourer
Labourer

by andymiet » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:59 am

Hi
Yes, allowing for diversity your existing circuit will be adequate. Take a look at this link:

http://www.tlc-direct.co.uk/Book/6.5.2.htm

One cooker switch may be used to control both appliances provided that neither appliance is more than 2 mtrs from the switch

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 11:48 pm