wiring dropping down from cu
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
steve bain
Tradesman
Tradesman

wiring dropping down from cu

by steve bain » Wed Sep 09, 2009 7:37 pm

hi guys. hopefully an easy one to answer. i am wiring in a new cu and want to run all (about 15) wires straight down into the floor below. now my question is i want to hide and protect the wires. should i:

a. run the wires through the cavity wall which is where they run now. this is an external, brick/brick uninsulated cavity wall. i believe this is not allowed now.

b. surface mounted plastic conduit. not preferrable as it will be visible.

c. chase a plastic conduit into the wall directly below the cu (safe zone?) and plaster over

d. as with c but with galvanised channel. if this one then where can i buy it?

cheers guys.

Steve

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Thu Sep 10, 2009 10:31 am

Hi steve,
my questions are, who is signing the work of you?
have building controls been notified?
or are a full scope registered electrician?
if the latter you should know the answer
Part P of building controls (look on Projects pages for it)
CU installation require notification and must comply to the above regulation,
It will not only involve installation but Inspection and Test schedules and results, plus electrical installation certs using a calibrated test instrument with valid certificate.
I would have done a PIR on the system prior to installing CU too
The installation will also need updating to BS7671:2008
Notification should be made prior to any work being started this and all the above mentioned are legal requirements.

steve bain
Tradesman
Tradesman

by steve bain » Fri Sep 11, 2009 12:53 pm

ha ha, thats funny. i have all of that under control. i'm an architect, not a sparky, hence the questions on the details.

Steve

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

by kbrownie » Fri Sep 11, 2009 7:20 pm

Hi Steve,
It's not funny, electrics are a very dangers thing to be dealing with, and the question needs to be asked regarding part p, as it is a legal requirement when installing a CU and it does need to be signed off.
If I didn't ask the questions I'd be irresponsible and I don't like being that.
not (a) for starters, your against (b)
(c) depends 15 cables chased in to the wall, how deep is the plaster, if you chase in to brick/block of the building could cause a weakness in it with so many cables.
What distance between underneath of CU and floor, could it be boxed in or plastic capping burried and plastered over as not as deep as conduit?

(d) not differnt to (c) but the steel of the channel/capping will need to be earthed.

KB

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:06 pm