wiring from ceiling rose
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
garybaker
Labourer
Labourer

wiring from ceiling rose

by garybaker » Mon Apr 12, 2010 11:45 am

i have problems with the wiring from ceiling rose and dimmer, after firdt try light would only work very dim, after changing the dimmer it will only work on full, i have checked the dimmer wiring and its fine and also wiring in rose seems correct, there is a smell of burning which concerns me ie a very fishy smell, please can you advise me the corrct procedure, from the ceiling there are 2 black wires a earth and 3 red am i correct one black one ssie one other 3 red in middle then wires from light go either side

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Apr 12, 2010 6:01 pm

hi,
'fishy' smell is typical of over heated plastic such as used for lampholders.
Remove dimmer & fit standard switch temp. until operation correct.
You are missing a black wire!
there should be 2 blacks on one side connected to the blue of the flex, plus one on other end which should be sleeved red as it is the switch return line and is live not Neutral, & should connect to the brown flex.
Recheck wiring and check for loose connections.
Lamp holder pins may be sticky and not making good contact with lamp contacts,
regards Sparx

garybaker
Labourer
Labourer

by garybaker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:49 am

Thanks so much for that , i will look again, there are def only 2 black wires and the three red that go in the middle plus the earth, a dimmer run fine before with spotlight but does not now very confused but thanks anyway for advice

garybaker
Labourer
Labourer

by garybaker » Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:05 am

further to last post i have checked wires and all is fine, there are 2 balck wires going to blue and 1 black to brown, also 3 red that i have run to middle and earth to terminal , i have checked connections and all is fine only problem is dimmer does not dim and the "fishy smell" would a second dimmer be faulty????? or am i wiring wrong. I have followed to the book and now frustrated

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 26, 2024 12:33 am