Wiring in a new cooker
Help, advice and problem solutions on all aspects of home appliances from washing machines to TV's

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
drcarnie
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring in a new cooker

Post by drcarnie » Sat Dec 22, 2007 9:00 pm

I am replacing my built in oven and hob with a freestanding cooker/hob. Is this a straightforward job?

stevenc1603
Ganger
Ganger

Post by stevenc1603 » Mon Dec 24, 2007 7:36 pm

Assuming that your current hob is wired off a 45a feed using a proper dual pole switch etc then you should be able to do it without any major problems.

As part of this assumption I'm guessing that the current oven is fed off its own socket with will either be on its own circuit or part of the ring main.
If so then you can leave this unused.

ericmark

Post by ericmark » Sun Feb 03, 2008 3:03 am

A stand alone cooker will need a dedicated supply. The only one which will work off a 13 amp supply is a baby belling. You may have two supplies or one supply split and what will be needed to make this to a single supply I would not know. As to supply amps normally between 32 and 45 according to cooker and cable if supply too small it may trip the MCB in the consumer unit if you try to use too many rings but MCB matches the cable not the cooker you will not get a supply too big.
The supply should be tested of course especially with cookers which could have high earth currents.
Although most likely double pole switch I have not seen any regulation to say it should be double pole.
Because of the expense of test equipment plus Part P which is required for changes to wiring in a kitchen I would think you would be better getting an electrician to do the job.

TheDoctor5

Post by TheDoctor5 » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:41 am

Last year 64% of the questions asked in our forum were answered within our DIY project pages at www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects.htm The project pages are now separated alphabetically and your answers are accompanied by diagrams and the ability to see, and buy, the tools and/or required to complete your project. Use our search box to look for your answer and save a great deal of time and money!

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 9:29 am