Wiring in a shower booster pump
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Torview
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring in a shower booster pump

Post by Torview » Thu May 14, 2009 4:49 pm

I am installing a new shower which requires a booster pump due to low water pressure. The pump is to be sited underneath the bath (complies with regs) and I was wondering if it is OK, ie. legal, to wire it into the shower circuit at the isolation switch. My thought being that all the electrics associated with the shower would be on the one circuit and the need to put in a third pull cord switch eliminated.

Thanks.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by sparx » Thu May 14, 2009 6:04 pm

Hi,
short answer NO!
reasons,
1) shower rating of MCB would be too high, would have to run in shower sized cable to local fused connection unit then to pump.
2) no requirement for pull switch for your pump, feed from FCU outside room, eg in airing cupboard etc. from local power circuit.
This is of course all part P notifiable work, unless being done by a registered leckie it needs reporting to LABC before you start.
From the question I presume you are not registered?
regards

kbrownie
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by kbrownie » Thu May 14, 2009 6:06 pm

Torview,
Have a look on project pages for part p of building regs: https://www.diydoctor.org.uk/projects/partp.htm some interesting information for you as this must comply to part p because it is a special locations.
KB

Torview
Labourer
Labourer

Post by Torview » Fri May 15, 2009 10:40 am

Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

No I'm not registered. The cottage was rewired in 2005 (certified) before we moved in and I am using the trunking (the walls are stone built) that feeds the bathroom. The plan is to get as much done as I am able and keep the electricians work down.

Plan B re. the pump.
There is a pull cord fan heater fed from a FCU on the bathroom wall. Would removing the heater (kids will have to rough it) and using the FCU plus pull cord for the pump be acceptable? Pull cords would still number two, saves the need to feed another cable into the bathroom and straight forward job for the electrician.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 9:26 pm