Wiring in Metal Conduit and no Screw Connection Posts
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
greenhorn
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring in Metal Conduit and no Screw Connection Posts

Post by greenhorn » Mon Oct 09, 2017 3:03 pm

Hi all,

This may well be a stupid question, but I'm planning on using galvanised metal conduit for some electrics. But the thought has suddenly occurred to me that the junction boxes don't have the screw connection posts in that the normal plastic junction boxes have in them. They're just an empty box.

So for example, if I want to run a series of lights, in series, each with a galvanised junction box as a ceiling rose, how do I make the connections inside? just using connection blocks?

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wiring in Metal Conduit and no Screw Connection Posts

Post by Mr White » Mon Oct 09, 2017 6:44 pm

The idea of conduit is to give mechanical protection to the cables that will go inside it, its not a junction box.
If you want "a series of lights" you should take the conduit to each light position and "drop" it to each light.
You can get dedicated fittings for conduit boxes.
You also use "singles" in conduit not twin and earth.

All the above aside, have you got a pipe bender, a vice, tallow, hacksaw, and di, di holder? (That is the correct spelling) If you haven't how are you going to join the conduit or join the boxes?

greenhorn
Labourer
Labourer

Post by greenhorn » Mon Oct 09, 2017 9:37 pm

If it's not intended as a junction box, what are the round "junction" boxes with various configurations of connection coming off them for?

Yeah, I have the tools I need. I found a system which uses grub nuts rather than a 20 mm thread.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Tue Oct 10, 2017 5:00 pm

Pardon my asking, but without a thread how will you attach anything?

For some one who "has the tools" in respect of conduit, one of the first things you learn is "what are the little round boxes for"

I get the impression you really do not have a clue in respect of conduit, that's fine, just say so, as I have an alternative, easier suggestion

greenhorn
Labourer
Labourer

Post by greenhorn » Wed Oct 11, 2017 8:50 am

As I said, I've found a manufacturer who produces conduit boxes which use a grub nut to connect to the conduit, rather than a threaded connection. But yes, I do have a hacksaw, cutting compound, pipe bender etc. Apart from the 20mm die...

And, no, I don't have much idea of the specifics of working with conduit, which is why I'm asking on here, surprisingly enough. However, I'm assuming that the fundamentals of how the electrical wiring (rings, spurs etc) is laid out, is essentially the same as when using twin and earth in a standard domestic system. Other than using single wires, rather than all in the one insulation.

If this isn't the case, I'm happy to be put right. That's why I'm on here after all.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Wed Oct 11, 2017 10:11 pm

Wiring in conduit is NOT the same as using twin and earth.
I suppose it depends how you want to look at it, and decide if its easier or harder, but its not the same, since you have access to the cores any where, as opposed to loop in here and back to there again. (Its easier to do than describe)

Conduit boxes have a multitude of uses, here are some of the uses.
For mounting things on.
Change of direction of conduit run.
For terminating cables (with glands)
NOT junction boxes. (You use adaptable boxes for that)

greenhorn
Labourer
Labourer

Post by greenhorn » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:38 am

Cheers for that.

Is there any book or source of information you can recommend for wiring with conduit. I can't seem to find anything at all.

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Post by Mr White » Thu Oct 12, 2017 8:30 pm

Not that I am aware of, its something you learn at college.

8 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 10:34 pm