wiring in new strip light
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
matscoth73
Labourer
Labourer

wiring in new strip light

by matscoth73 » Wed Jun 27, 2007 9:06 pm

Hi doc,
I have recently bought a strip light which I want to install into an outside building. There are 3 terminals in the fitting, do I take a cable direct from the fuse box into this fitting or does the cable from the fuse box go to the light switch fisrt and then on to the light fitting? I have tried several times but the mcb trips every time I flick the switch.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Thu Jun 28, 2007 5:26 pm

First if you want any wiring done in an outside bldg ie shed it is illegal to DIY. the reason for this is because people with limited electrical knowledge are a danger to themselves & everyone else! sorry but thats how it is!!!
I bet you are putting 2 reds (browns) together in Live term., & 2 blacks (blues) in Neutral at light and wonder why it trips? Look at projects 'wiring a light' then get some one in to do it properly, PLEASE.
For infomation what you are doing is connecting L TO N every time you switch on, this is called a short circuit, & will probably weld your switch contacts together if done too many times,

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 9:57 am