Wiring issue. Circuit Breaker is on but no power to the circuit.
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
iceward
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring issue. Circuit Breaker is on but no power to the circuit.

Post by iceward » Wed May 13, 2020 8:37 pm

Hi Everyone,

I am new here so forgive me if this post is in the wrong place. I am not sure if we are all simply DIY'ers on here or if some members are qualified tradespeople, but whatever help you can give, I will take.

The title tells you the problem but let me fill in some background.

In my house there are 2 lights in the ground floor hallway. There are 3 different switches that operate these lights, however there is obviously a problem because the switches only work if other switches are on. It's confusing.

So today I unscrewed all the 3 front plates to see if I could figure out what the issue was. In one switch there was a live wire going into L1 on the 2nd gang but then looped across to the COM on the 1st gang (the one that has the issue). I only noticed this after removing each wire one by one and recording where they came from etc.

Upon putting that wire back in place and using the switch, the circuit breaker tripped. I removed the offending wire but the lights were then flickering. Now I have no power at all on that lighting circuit. The Circuit breaker is in on the ON position and does not trip.

Could the circuit breaker have broken? The consumer unit is quite old (10 years+) and the breakers are made by Legrand.

Any helpful advice would be greatly appreciated.

Many thanks.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

iceward
Labourer
Labourer

Re: Wiring issue. Circuit Breaker is on but no power to the circuit.

Post by iceward » Thu May 14, 2020 8:04 am

Update.

The small red loop in the photo is the Feed Out.... and wasnt connected correctly. Reset and now everything works.

This post can be deleted if necessary. Thank you

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 3:20 pm