wiring light switch
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
darren7426
Labourer
Labourer

wiring light switch

by darren7426 » Sun Jul 15, 2007 9:26 pm

My garage has had two light switches in it, however someone has taken one out, I have now moved the switch and I have two red wires, two black wires, and two yellow/green wires that come from inside the house, and I also have one of each from the flourescent light. I would like to know which wires go where, as when I placed the two red from the house into one hole in switch, 1 red from light into top hole all green/yellows into the main box earth, and taped all black wires together, it tripped the lights off. Any help?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Mon Jul 16, 2007 9:38 pm

Hi darren,
you should not have 2 sets of wires from house!
your method of connection is correct if u only had 1 r + 1 b from house & the same from light, ie blacks together in spare connector block in back of sw. box & reds one in each sw. term./ earths together in earth block.
maybe the second set 'from house' aren't & were going to some thing cut off & shorting out.
seperate all wires & test for real Live & Neutral from house, cut and tape up other set 'from house' then reconnect as above, let us know results please, regards SPARX

darren7426
Labourer
Labourer

light switch wires

by darren7426 » Tue Jul 17, 2007 6:14 pm

Hi Sparx, thnks for that, the reason for 2 wires from house seems to be that the switch at the front of the garage is still there (I am trying to move it due to water damage) and the switch at the back door was moved when a conservatory was built by previous owner, this switch looks to be wired back through the wall into the switch in the conservatory, perhaps a short cut for builder, and now comes back out into this switch loom. Any ideas on these wires, and which would you suggest taking out into a block?

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Tue Jul 17, 2007 11:30 pm

Hi Darren, begining to think you may have to get sparky with test gear in to suss. what you have got & what to do with it...there is a limit to what can be suggested by 'remote vision' sorry but don't feel happy talking through this one,
regards SPARX

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 4:02 pm