Wiring multiple lights into one socket
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Sheila_ktn
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring multiple lights into one socket

by Sheila_ktn » Sat Jun 08, 2013 6:33 pm

Hi there,
I've been searching the Internet for a decent mirror with lights, a "Hollywood style" dressing mirror and have not come across anything I like, that is affordable so I would like to attempt to make my own one.

I am thinking of using E27 15W bulbs in E27 Edison screw bulb holders, 20 in total. Is it possible to have these wired into one socket? Are there any risks of doing this? If so, is there a better way to do this?

I would also be grateful if someone could advise me on the best wire to use, someone mentioned blue white wire, would this be correct?

Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you

Sheila

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wiring multiple lights into one socket

by ericmark » Sun Jun 09, 2013 8:34 am

[quote="Sheila_ktn"]

I would also be grateful if someone could advise me on the best wire to use, someone mentioned blue white wire, would this be correct?

[/quote]
Do NOT use blue/white wire this is a special cable for temperature compensation and would heat up and likely go on fire.

Daisy chaining lamps will depend on the fitting there are lamps holders made for building sites and the like already wired in a string called festoon lighting. The problem is the heat the lights generate and likely you would have to use LED lamps to reduce heat but still have correct colours.

Likely the cable will be yellow as these are designed for 110 volt systems and as such the screw could be line instead of neutral as there is no neutral on 110 systems. So may be better with the BA22d versions. What will really be the point is what base you can get cheap LED bulbs with.

Sheila_ktn
Labourer
Labourer

by Sheila_ktn » Sun Jun 09, 2013 2:23 pm

ericmark wrote:Do NOT use blue/white wire this is a special cable for temperature compensation and would heat up and likely go on fire.

Daisy chaining lamps will depend on the fitting there are lamps holders made for building sites and the like already wired in a string called festoon lighting. The problem is the heat the lights generate and likely you would have to use LED lamps to reduce heat but still have correct colours.

Likely the cable will be yellow as these are designed for 110 volt systems and as such the screw could be line instead of neutral as there is no neutral on 110 systems. So may be better with the BA22d versions. What will really be the point is what base you can get cheap LED bulbs with.

Hi Ericmark,

Thanks so much for your response, I appreciate you taking the time to respond to my post.

Could I clarify, that using LED screw bulbs with the E27 screw bulb holders and a yellow cable would work?

Thanks again.

Sheila

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

by ericmark » Mon Jun 10, 2013 6:13 am

Yes it would work. It is not really what you should do for 230v you should have blue cable or at least not yellow as the yellow shows it 110 volts but in the main the cable is still rated for 230v so although not technically correct there is not really a problem.

Although technically the cores of a yellow cable should be brown and black in practice they are normally brown and blue same as with 230v cable and the blue should be connected to screw with brown to centre connection so the blue should be connected to neutral with brown to line.

I am not saying using yellow festoon lighting complies with all the regulations but I would not worry about using it. The other option is out door Christmas lights. I have a string of SES bulb holders which were Christmas lights and the first point is price bulbs as you may find you can only get cheap LED bulbs with SES bases so select bulbs first then look at festoon lighting.

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Mar 17, 2024 9:18 am