Wiring New Shower
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
GazzaS
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring New Shower

by GazzaS » Wed Jan 02, 2008 4:14 pm

Hi,

My old Triton power shower developed a leak and I have purchased the new version of the shower.

The old shower uses a 1mm 3 wire white extension cable that is 3 m in length and connects to a 3 amp plug plugged into a socket in the cellar. This cellar circuit is also connected to the lounge circuit that has my TV, Media PC and AV system plugged into. The old shower has a power rating of 120 watt and in the two years of me living here I have not noticed any problems with this arrangement. However, the old set up does not have an RCD and is not on a dedicated circuit.

I am thinking of using the same wire and replacing the plug socket it plugs into with a RCD plug socket to minimise the risk of shock. The new shower is self-contained like the old one with a pump and no heater. The new shower has a power rating of 130 - 150 watt (slightly higher than my old shower).

My first alternative is to add a spur from the cellar plug circuit and fit a hard-wired RCD as well as new 1mm electrical wire to the shower. Would I have to get this checked by an electrician with the new part P Regulations?

My second alternative is to get an electrician to add a new dedicated shower circuit. I'm worried that this would be very costly and would involve removing the bathroom tiles and damaging the recently decorated rooms.

The bathroom has just been decorated and I have my first child on the way in a couple of months hence the cheapest option is what I am looking for.

Thanks for all your help.

Gary

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Wed Jan 02, 2008 11:33 pm

gary
I would advise u to seek advice from a part p sparky.

BLAKEY1963

ericmark

by ericmark » Thu Jan 03, 2008 7:09 pm

Because it is a shower I would advise the work is done and tested by an electrician. The configuration seems straight forward and changing it should no cause a problem as you say with the addition of an earth leakage devise. In which case it will not cost much. But one there may be something we are unaware of and to advise when if we get it wrong it could be lethal is not really something we should do on the internet. And also RCD's built into sockets can cost nearly as much as a complete new consumer unit so it may not in real terms be best way. I have fitted many RCD's which have proved faulty from new they are not tested by pressing yellow button but one uses a special meter which measures the time and current fitting a unit without testing is not to be recommended so again better to get an electrician so you know not only has it been fitted but it does really work.

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Mon Apr 08, 2024 12:29 pm