Wiring of electric towel rail
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
nickambrose
Apprentice
Apprentice

Wiring of electric towel rail

by nickambrose » Thu May 17, 2007 5:29 pm

I have installed a dual fuel towel rail. The tails from the control unit of the electric element are not lone enough to pass outside of the bathroom. I installed a new wire under the floor to feed the element off a fused spur unit positioned outside the bathroom. I have now found though that the controller unit seems to be a sealed unit so I can't wire into it. The unit is rated IPX1 so I thought that if I could obtain a small juction box rated IPX1 I could position that on the wall next to the radiator and connect the wiring through this. The problem is, no one seems to stock such a junction box unless you go for one of the large units that are designed for outside use. Can anyone advise on this.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri May 18, 2007 1:24 am

There are what look like flat blanking plates which have connectors on the back & a 'knock-out either in centre or base for flex, which fit onto flush or surface box, try electrical whole salers, they sell to anybody these days and should stock them,regards SPARX

nickambrose
Apprentice
Apprentice

by nickambrose » Fri May 18, 2007 8:32 am

[quote="sparx"]There are what look like flat blanking plates which have connectors on the back & a 'knock-out either in centre or base for flex, which fit onto flush or surface box, try electrical whole salers, they sell to anybody these days and should stock them,regards SPARX[/quote]

Thanks but I was hoping for a supplier or name etc. I tried my local electrical supplier, and the only one they did was a large box designed to fit outdoors and I was hoping for something a bit neater.

sparx
Project Manager
Project Manager

by sparx » Fri May 18, 2007 2:38 pm

Sorry but this forum won't allow 'advertising' so can't name maker but your local supplier can't be much cop as every one of the 5 we use stock a version!
Most of the 'sheds' keep them around here in deepest Kent countryside, so don't know u you can't find one, they are sold for the very purpose u need it for, try not to shop on weekends.......even my local village ironmongers has them!
Regards SPARX (explain they look like a blank cover plate with hole in middle, & connector block on back)

nickambrose
Apprentice
Apprentice

by nickambrose » Fri May 18, 2007 6:05 pm

[quote="sparx"]Sorry but this forum won't allow 'advertising' so can't name maker but your local supplier can't be much cop as every one of the 5 we use stock a version!
Most of the 'sheds' keep them around here in deepest Kent countryside, so don't know u you can't find one, they are sold for the very purpose u need it for, try not to shop on weekends.......even my local village ironmongers has them!
Regards SPARX (explain they look like a blank cover plate with hole in middle, & connector block on back)[/quote]

Tried another stockist today but only had the outdoor type. In the end I purchased a surface box with plain blanking plate and used silicon mastic all round to make it drip proof.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 1:54 am