Wiring PIR Security Light to a 3 Pin Inside Plug
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Nikko66
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring PIR Security Light to a 3 Pin Inside Plug

by Nikko66 » Tue Sep 15, 2015 12:31 pm

Hi all,

I am wanting to fit a security light following some recent car break ins in my area.

I have purchased a 120w halogen light with PIR and would like to run the cable through the wall to a near by upstairs wall socket, because the light will only draw a small amount of amps l intend to replace the fuse with a 3 amp one, the cable will be taken from the back of the light unit straight through the wall so will not be open to the elements, I have a some new orange arctic cable left over from camping which l would like to use,

Is there any thing else l should consider before going ahead ?

Many thanks in advance,

Nick.

ericmark
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wiring PIR Security Light to a 3 Pin Inside Plug

by ericmark » Wed Sep 16, 2015 1:38 pm

Upsetting neighbours, I have a small 40W globe light on a switch and light sensor fitted many years ago the light sensor really in case I forget to switch it off.

Today using it is impossible except as a talking point as when it is switched on it activates next doors security lamp which in turn activates next doors dog and also switched my lamp off. A few minutes latter the security lamp goes off so my lamp goes on again. I am sure you can guess what happens.

Also when I hit the press to talk button on my radio security lights go on, The back garden is like Blackpool illuminations with lights going on and off every where and no one takes the slightest notice. The the main the intruder is a cat and even if not it does not seem to upset any intruder it just helps them see where they are going.

A low wattage lamp on 24/7 or just at night seems to do better. Idea is not to surprise the intruder but persuade him or her to select a different house. 5W LED is amply to see if there is some one in the garden but not enough to stop them tripping over the kids bike.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Thu Apr 18, 2024 4:45 pm