Wiring replacement wall lights
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
notanexpert
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring replacement wall lights

Post by notanexpert » Sat Oct 10, 2009 10:50 am

I want to replace two wall lights in one room. They are connected via one “normal” style light switch. Existing lights have 3 wires: red, black, bare copper. Red and black are wired into the fitting. Bare copper is just loose not wired into anything. At main fuse box the switch says which section of the property the circuit is on and states “Ring”.

New light fitting states that it must be earthed. It has an internal set of connectors for 3 wires + 1 other and the fitting side is prewired with 3 wires.

Having switched off the switch in the mains fuse box and fitted the new fitting: red to live, black to neutral and left the bare copper wires loose but covered with insulation tape. I switched the switch in the circuit breaker box and at the room light switch. I did not touch the 2nd existing wall light. The new light and existing light both came on. When I switched the main fuse box switch off to isolate the circuit both lights in the room stayed on.

Please help and advise what I may be doing wrong. Thanks.

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

Post by chriscba » Sat Oct 10, 2009 4:39 pm

Lighting circuits are on a 6 amp breaker. You proberly isolated the wrong circuit,RING means RING MAIN FOR SOCKETS. The bare copper cable is the earth, and must be covered with green/yellow sleeve.

2 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 6:13 am