wiring to rear of a long house
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
sandyn
Labourer
Labourer

wiring to rear of a long house

by sandyn » Fri Aug 03, 2007 8:54 pm

My house was 24 metres from front to back. I have built an extension so it is now 33 metres. The circuit breakers are at the very front. I am adding new ring mains in the new extension, but calculated volts drop is a problem over that distance. What is the best way to wire this?

thanks

Sandy

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

Re: wiring to rear of a long house

by BLAKEY1963 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 12:39 pm

[quote="sandyn"]My house was 24 metres from front to back. I have built an extension so it is now 33 metres. The circuit breakers are at the very front. I am adding new ring mains in the new extension, but calculated volts drop is a problem over that distance. What is the best way to wire this?

thanks

Sandy[/quote]

SANDYN
IF U R ADDING RING MAINS TO YOUR MAINS BOARD, THIS
IS NOTIFIABLE WORK. SEE DOC S PART P SECTION.
U NEED TO GET IN AN ELECTRICIAN TO DO WORK AND
CERTIFY IT.
HE WOULD WORK OUT CABLE SIZES ECT AND TYPE OF
CIRCUIT , RING MAIN , RADIAL ECT.
BLAKEY1963

sandyn
Labourer
Labourer

by sandyn » Sat Aug 04, 2007 2:01 pm

I'm doing the work myself and having it inspected. I can easily calculate the volts drop myself and the cost effectiveness of different options, I just wondered if anyone had a gut feel for what the best option was.

Thanks
Sandy

BLAKEY1963
Site Agent
Site Agent

by BLAKEY1963 » Sat Aug 04, 2007 8:05 pm

[quote="sandyn"]I'm doing the work myself and having it inspected. I can easily calculate the volts drop myself and the cost effectiveness of different options, I just wondered if anyone had a gut feel for what the best option was.

Thanks
Sandy[/quote]

SANDY
APPRECIATE U R HAVING IT INSPECTED.
I ASSUME THAT IF U INSTALL YOUR RING THEN U HAVE A ELECTRCIAN , PART REGISTERED TO CERTIFY AS WELL.
OK 33 METERS THERE AND BACK U WOULD LOOKING AT A RING MAIN
OF 85 METERS APPROX.(ALLOWING FOR DROPS TO SOCKETS) AS U STATE U R OKAY TO CALCULATE READINGS
TO SEE IF EARTH LOOP IMPEADANCES WOULD BE BELOW 1.50 OMHS(TYPE B 60898 32 AMP MCB )
FOR THAT LENTH OF RUN.
OTHER WISE ONE OPTION COULD BE A SUB MAIN OF 10 MM2 ON A 40 AMP MCB FEEDING A MAINS BOARD IN THE EXTENSION.
BLAKEY1963

4 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Wed Apr 17, 2024 3:45 pm