Wiring two ceiling lights to switches?
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
kurapika
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring two ceiling lights to switches?

by kurapika » Sun Feb 17, 2008 6:01 am

I have drawn a diagram (Below). I am trying to get 2 lights working. 1 works on a single pole switch & the other is a dimmer. The pole switch has 3 wires going into it.2 white & 1 red. With the dimmer there are 2 wires. 1 black & 1 white. The switch was already wired so i shouldnt have to touch that. The problem im having is with the boxes in the ceiling. If i wire all the blacks together and all the whites together the lights come on but neither switch works. The 2nd box was all the blacks wired together & all the whites wired together. The 1st box for some reason originally had 3 blacks & 1 white (inclu. the black from the light) connected & three whites & one black connected. I cant remember which ones went where though&every combo i have tried hasnt worked so far. The left and right pairs of box 1 control the lights i think as when wired together both lights work. The trip blows if i add the other 2 wires in any combo.

DIAGRAM --> http://img225.imageshack.us/my.php?imag ... m10oa4.jpg

Also, I got some video about ceiling light here... http://www.squidoo.com/ceilinglight
Last edited by kurapika on Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:09 am, edited 1 time in total.

ericmark

by ericmark » Sun Feb 17, 2008 4:36 pm

What country are you in? This forum is for UK. We don't use white so either not UK or some special system.

kurapika
Labourer
Labourer

by kurapika » Sun Feb 17, 2008 5:02 pm

Problem fixed!

I'd tested the wires with my volt meter to quickly find the switched wires that should be connected to the light fixtures. I noticed that the voltmeter is a must for doing electrical work. It need not be expensive or fancy. Thanks to the electrician!!! :lol:

3 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sat Apr 13, 2024 3:50 pm