Wiring up a wall light with a pull switch only basic instructions
Ask questions and find answers to many subjects relating to electrics and electrical work

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
Lazz46
Labourer
Labourer

Wiring up a wall light with a pull switch only basic instructions

by Lazz46 » Sat Jul 17, 2021 3:37 pm

I have a new wall light fitting which came with very basic instructions for wiring. the existing wires coming out of the wall are standard live neutral & earth, the wires in the new fitting, see photo, are one black (assumed for live) and one white (assumed neutral) to the bulb holder + earth fixed to the metal casing, no probs there. also there are 2 black wires from the pull cord switch, the rough sketch instruction shows these two wires being connected one to the live and one to the neutral coming from the bulb holder, is this correct? and if not how should it be wired?
any assistance appreciated, thanks in advance.
Attachments
wall light copy.jpg

Mr White
Project Manager
Project Manager

Re: Wiring up a wall light with a pull switch only basic instructions

by Mr White » Sun Jul 18, 2021 3:30 pm

If the wires from the switch are connected to the live and neutral as soon as the switch is operated it would create a short circuit operating the circuit protective device (I would hope, either that or the cable would catch fire and or melt) Not to mention the associated bang, and blue flash.
The pair from the switch should be connected in series with the live.
I would also mention you do not have to connect the switch, you could just connect the black white and earth. This is only the case that the previous light for which this is a replacement is switched from elsewhere, say by the door to the room.
This is because there is no facility for 2 way switching. 2 Way switching is where you turn the light on at one switch, and off at another switch, and vice versa. If you were to connect the new light fittings switch, someone could operate the light switch so when the main light switch is turned on, the light will NOT come on because it's switch is now in the off position.

Lazz46
Labourer
Labourer

by Lazz46 » Sun Jul 18, 2021 5:25 pm

Thanks Mr White, as I suspected, much appreciated.

chriscba
Ganger
Ganger

by chriscba » Mon Jul 19, 2021 10:40 pm

Join one of the switch black wires to the light black wire in a connector block.
Then the 2 cables left, the white neutral & the other black switch wire, connect these to the live & neutral cables in the wall.

Lazz46
Labourer
Labourer

by Lazz46 » Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:01 pm

Sorted thanks.

5 posts   •   Page 1 of 1
It is currently Sun Apr 14, 2024 2:48 am